This section provides samples of materials which can also be found on the website of the Liberal Party of Sri Lanka (http://www.liberalparty-srilanka.org/) , as part of its efforts to assist those who wish to improve their knowledge of English, and to find learning materials for children as well as other students. It will include the books written or edited by Prof Rajiva Wijesinha and Mrs Nirmali Hettiarachchi and their collaborators in the different series of publications for Learning English at various levels produced by the English Association of Sri Lanka during the 1990s.
Some of these books have been published subsequently by Cambridge University Press in Delhi or by International Book House at 151 Dharmapala Road, Colombo 7. Here, and on the website, reproduction will be only of sample extracts from books still in print, which may be obtained from booksellers. The other books that will be found in full on the website may however be downloaded and used as required.
The selection on the website will include sections from the ‘Guide to Studying and Thinking’, and related exercises, which were used to teach critical thinking on courses devised by Prof Wijesinha for Sabaragamuwa University and subsequently for the Sri Lanka Military Academy. A few of these will also be reproduced here.
Those wishing to find answers to any of the exercises in language or in critical thinking reproduced here should write toChamil Prasad Deputy Secretary General Council for Liberal Democracy 8, Alfred House Road Colombo 3
with details of the questions to which they wish to have a key. Answers to the first set of critical thinking exercises will be available on the website, but you are advised to try to solve the puzzles on your own before looking at the key.
- Grade 6 Junior English Textbook – UNIT 1
- Critical Thinking Skills exercise from the ‘Guide to Studying and Thinking’
The original version of this book was written by Goolbai Gunasekara, Principal of the Asian International School, for students on the pre-University General English Language Training Programme conducted by the University Grants Commission. The programme was coordinated by Mrs Oranee Jansz and Prof Rajiva Wijesinha who added the exercises. Though the programme was closed down, Mrs Gunasekara kindly agreed to add more material, so that the book now covers all areas of the world and a wider range of historical periods, while more exercises have been added to develop more language competencies.
This is taken from a selection of Materials for Easy Reading, more of which may be downloaded from the website of the Liberal Party of Sri Lanka (www.liberalparty-srilanka.org) in the English and Education Section. Books which are still in print may be obtained from International Book House, 151 A Dharmapala Mawata, Colombo 7.
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS I – The Pyramids of Egypt: 3rd to the 1st millennium BC
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS II – The Parthenon in Greece 447-438 BC
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS III – The Great Wall of China 3rd century BC
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS IV – Hagia Sophia in Istanbul Between 4th and 6th centuries AD / 15th century AD
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS V – Machu Picchu in South America, Mediaeval period, before 16th century AD
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS VI – Angkor Wat in Cambodia c.1113-1150
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS VII – The Alhambra 10th – 15th century AD
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS VIII- The Potala in Tibet: Mediaeval period onward
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS IX – St Peter’s Cathedral 15th – 16th centuries AD
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS X – The Taj Mahal at Agra c. 1650 AD
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS XI – THE KREMLIN Early modern times to the 19th century
English, Economics and Management