I relate here how, in the midst of my English medium work, I had to take on more responsibilities at the university too. I was flattered when students asking me to be Dean again said, when I told them it could only be part time, that part of my time was worth all of anyone else’s. So I became Acting Dean for a three year period.

The picture is of I K Perera, who was finally appointed Vice-Chancellor in the face of much underhand intrigue against him.

Taking on the Deanship at Sabaragamuwa

Next morning was EASL and CLD work and the World Bank, which wanted some adjustments which I did after lunch, and then went to the Ministry, dropping in after that at the hospital and SLCDF and the accountant and the World Bank.

I worked at home next day but had a Liberal meeting and Peter came round for tea and I went to Nirmali’s for dinner. Next day I worked on my articles and sorted out my files, which were multiplying, in all directions as it were. Then on Monday I went to the Ministry and also the Vocational Training Ministry for they too wanted English inputs, and then in the afternoon I dropped in at USJP to see Paru, who was one of those I was principally relying on for my teacher,  training proghramme and also saw Vijita at the NIE before getting to the cottage for the night.

Early next morning I went to the Academy and took several classes beforbe going to the university where I saw IK whose appointment as Vice-Chancellor the UGC was delaying. I taught all day there on the Wednesday and then went to the cottage, saw the roof that had come up, and then went home and to the airport. I went to Thailand, Germany and Belgium, and got ack only on the night of Sunday October 21st.

Next morning I was at the Ministry and then went after lunch to the cottage and marked Academy projects. Next morning I went there for classes, and then got to the university where the students tried to persuade me to take on the Dean’s post again. I told them that I had far too much to do elsewhere, but having thought about it they told me that even two days of my time was worth more than a week of anyone else’s – they had found Chandra both unsympathetic and inefficient, but thankfully she was now retiring – and in the end, after IK had been duly appointed Vice-Chancellor, I took on the position of Acting Dean, and served satisfactorily I think for over three years.

I taught there next day and got to the cottage for the night and to the Ministry next morning, where I met several Indian publishers. It was around then I think that one of them told me they had been threatened by Sri Lankan booksellers that, if they entered our market actively, their books would be boycotted, and in the end none of them would get involved in Tara’s multiple book option which was then taken over by cartels set up by the NIE, which defeated the entire purpose of textbooks on a par with international ones. But the depths of the corruption in this regard became clear to me only later.